Forteviot Church of St Andrew
Recent archaeology indicates that Christians were first buried in Forteviot graveyard in the sixth century. In the ninth century Kenneth Macalpin, the king who unified the Picts and Scots into a single nation, had his royal palace and chapel here.
From the early thirteenth century Forteviot Church was in the gift of the Diocese of St Andrews and after the Reformation, St Andrews University became the patron. The pre-reformation parish church of Muckersie was united with Forteviot in 1618 and Pathstruie in 1957.
The present building, the third on the site, was erected in 1778. Archaeological artefacts of major historic significance are housed within the church including several pictish carved stones, fragments of the Dronachy Cross; a Celtic hand bell (c900 AD) and the main church bell dating to 1657.
The impressive medieval stone font in Forteviot church was formerly located in Muckersie chapel. Forteviot is located within the walled grounds of a sizeable cemetery. The adjacent Village Hall is used by the church for large events and services.